Wednesday 28 September 2011

Hook Island and bad dad jokes

Cameron and Haydee on
a big rock at Hook Island
We're currently anchored in Nara Inlet, a beautiful calm inlet on the southern edge of Hook Island (which I told the kids was named after Captain Hook!). We're taking our time to go around Hook and may not even make it all the way round at our current rate of travel, which is quite fine by me. Yesterday was spent lazily dragging a lure from Stonehaven to Nara. We weren't in any hurry which was good because the wind was so flukey that we alternated between leaning over and flapping sails.

Haydee and Cameron relaxing in our bed
Despite the beauty of our surroundings, Shane's attempts at humour are causing we three sane ones to consider mutinying. Or throwing the sod overboard. We've developed a groan-meter which has now been in use so long and so much that rather than responding to Shane's jokes by laughing, groaning or crying, the kids just say a number between 1 and 100 where 1 is a bad joke and 100 is completely dreadful. The really bad ones get more than 100. And there has been a few of those. I think the only reason we haven't left him behind in our wake is because I'd eventually run out of fuel and don't think we could berth this sucker at a fuel wharf by ourselves. Yet. The kids and I are looking forward to our upcoming Sydney trip! Having said that, I'm sure Shane is too...

The kids are back at school this week after a week off last week and our work on fractions (which Haydee is loving and doing very well at!) will continue. As will Shane's efforts to catch the brother of last week's tasty spotted mackerel, and mine to continue reading every book on board. Joy!

3 comments:

GuthrieTeam said...

I hear mutinous undertones, Fid. I've always thought your Dad-jokes had substance. Chin up. They could be using a 1 to 1 million rating scale.

Mum said...

I can't believe you're inflicting your father's humour on your children and wife.

Fid said...

All "dad jokes" have substance, Dave; although I still think mine are particularly side-splitting. The kids are often delayed in giving a "groan-o-meter" score due to their rolling around on the floor laughing.
Funnily enough Mum, Heather often responds to my jokes with a, "Thanks, Barry!"
You will be pleased to know that all talk of mutiny has been quashed. When we picked up the mooring buoy at Daydream yesterday, the kids and I did the business at the bow end of the boat while Heather did the helm bit on her own for the first time. Despite it all going very smoothly, all boat handling lessons have ceased. Further, I have removed the hangman's noose from the list of knots I am teaching the kids; just to be on the safe side! The kids also now know what keel-hauling is, and the origin of the sayings "let the cat out of the bag" and "not enough room to swing a cat".
By the way, am I the only one who sees the irony in Heather starting to bag me about my dad jokes with some mention of CAPT Hook? The Great Wall ... Emperor Nasi Goreng ... something about rabbits?!?